Lynn Minmay (
Personality & CharacterEdit
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
Lynn Minmay is a brilliant singer. She can also play the piano and keyboard.
Warning! Spoilers are ahead!
Lynn Minmay was born on October 10, 1993 in Chinatown, Yokohama, Japan to Chinese restaurant manager, Lynn Paochun and his wife . She lived at the restaurant her parents owned in Chinatown known as Minsharou. (SDFM: "Chinatown")
One day, Minmay packed her bags for South Ataria Island. Before leaving she saw photos of her and her family on a touchscreen photo frame, and had a minor argument with her parents. After venturing through a busy street. Minmay put her bag down by a wall and saw a poster promoting the SDF-1 Macross. (FB2012)
Space War IEditSDF-1 Macross with her neighbor Yoshio . They laughed when Hikaru Ichijyo interfered with a demonstration that his Senpai, Roy Focker,was providing commentary for and clapped when Hikaru performed a boost-to-an-inverted-climb in his Fan Racer. Later, Yoshio, demanded a can of Petite Cola from her but she refused because he already drank some juice. She agreed to take Yoshio to the bathroom when he had the urge to, as she walked away, Roy stared at her skirt. After the U.N. Spacy engaged the Zentradi in battle over the airspace of the South Ataria Island, Hikaru crash-landed his VF-1D Valkyrie (VT-102) in her neighborhood and stood up in Battroid mode in front of her house and workplace. (SDFM: "Boobytrap") Refrigerator Fish Truck honked his horn and told Hikaru to get out of the way because he's trying to get to the shelter. Hikaru returned inside VT-102 and said goodbye to Minmay. He attempted to make VT-102 walk but nearly fell on the opposite building, so he activated the thrusters but the torque was great enough that VT-102 fell the other way, crashing into the Nyan-Nyan with the upper torso embedded in Minmay's room, luckily Minmay and Yoshio were fine. Later, civilians ran away as Roy landed his VF-1S in GERWALK. Approaching, it smoothly transformed into Battroid mode. This amazed Minmay. After Roy repaired VT-102, Minmay said goodbye to Hikaru and ran back with Yoshio to her aunt and uncle, who were apparently the last civilians who hadn't evacuated. Roy smiled as he stared at Minmay's Skirt through the camera of his VF-1S, he joked that Hikaru was a "dog" and was taking after himself more and more everyday. When she got to the shelter, she met with Yoshio's parents. Unfortunately Minmay forgot something at her house so she went back for it despite the danger. As she left, her aunt told her to be careful. Unfortunately, Minmay, upon returning to the city, got chased by a Regult, it was about to step on her but Roy luckily destroyed it and shielded her from the blast with his VF-1S in GERWALK mode. Roy told Hikaru to protect her while he drove off the enemy. Hikaru used the arms of VT-102 to grab onto her. Hikaru took off in GERWALK mode, flying through Heavy Multi-Warhead Missiles (Type Two) with her in the left hand. Hikaru apologized to her for the rough ride, Roy asked him if everything is all right, Hikaru said he was ok but Roy meant Minmay. Roy called Hikaru a pudnucker and did not care if Hikaru got killed as long as Minmay was safe. Hikaru suddenly remembered VT-102 had two seats. Caught up in a swarm of missiles, the left arm of VT-102 broke off and Minmay fell out, luckily, Hikaru opened the cockpit and pulled her into the back seat. Hikaru flew low in the ruins of Macross City. While crying, she noticed that her hair was ruined. Hikaru asked her what was more important, her hair or her life? She jokingly replied that it was her hair and they both laughed. They then screamed as VT-102 was about to crash into a Regult. Hikaru activated the thrusters to brake and passed through the legs of the Regult before tumbling over, as VT-102 got up, Hikaru noticed that she was unconscious and Hikaru panicked.
In the Do You Remember Love? movie that chronicles the events of Space War I, Minmay is already an established celebrity.
2059EditA picture of Minmay can be seen in a locket belonging to a Zentradi mogul called Richard Bilrer. (F)
When Hikaru landed VT-102 outside her home at the Nyan-Nyan, the two exchanged their first words together and she got the impression that Hikaru was "a nice guy. "
- Lynn Minmay's piano and keyboard playing skills is based on the fact that her voice actress, Mari Iijima, is a classically trained pianist . Mari Iijima will sometimes play one during live performances.
- Mari Iijima reprised her role as Lynn Minmay for ADV's English dub of the series that was first released in 2006. She became the second voice actor ever to provide both the Japanese and English voices for the same character. The first being Miyuki Sawashiro who provided the Japanese voice of Puchiko in the 2003 OVA Leave it to Piyoko! and the English voice in the 2005 English dub.
- To some extent, the morale raised by Lynn Minmay in Space War I is very reminiscent of Vera Lynn during the Second World War.
- The character Ranka Lee from Macross Frontier, was based on Minmay's television incarnation, whereas Sheryl Nome was based on her movie incarnation.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Macross Chronicle Revised Edition 05/02/2013 Page 9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Macross TV Series Liner Notes | AnimEigo
- ↑ Macross Chronicle Revised Edition 08/04/2014 Page 19
- ↑ Macross Chronicle Revised Edition 05/02/2013 Page 10
- ↑ Behind Lynn Minmay