The Macross 7 is the leading ship of the 37th colonial fleet, consisting of two parts; the City 7, where civilian populace live, and the Battle 7, a detachable battlefortress that can transform into a massive humanoid fortress. It is part of the New Macross Class line of super dimension fortresses.
The ship Macross 7 is the seventh model of the New Macross class of deep space colonization ships. Other ships of the class include Macross Five and Macross Thirteen. It consists of two parts:
- City 7: an enormous, egg-shaped spacecraft with a pressurized dome containing an entire city. It has a clam-like "lid" which can close over the dome to provide protection during attacks (known as "shell down"), and whose inner surface projects an image of an Earth-like sky. The city's mayor is Milia Fallyna Jenius. Smaller pods attached to the main city-ship contain additional city blocks, including the unregistered block Akusho, a district of crumbling, empty buildings in which Basara lives.
- Battle 7: a battle carrier (similar to the Uraga class carrier), it can launch squadrons of variable fighters, including the elite Diamond Force, when attacked. It can also detach and transform into an approximately three-quarter-mile-high robot, equipped with a powerful Super Beam Weapon that can decimate an enemy battle fleet. The super beam weapon is mounted in gunship which Battle 7 holds in its right "hand". The captain is Maximilian Jenius, with advice provided by Exsedol Folmo, whose (macronized) head is visible on the bridge. Ship is said to carry 450 x variable fighters, including VF-11C Thunderbolt, 3 x VF-17 Nightmare, 3 x VF-19 Excalibur, 2 x VF-22S Sturmvogel II and 250 other small support craft.
- New Macross Deep Space Colony Fleet is usually accompanied on its long journey by a large fleet, including armed escort craft including Bolognese Class Stealth Frigates & Uraga class Escort Carriers. The fleet has number of support vessels containing entertainment facilities (such as the resort ship Riviera, containing an artificial beach, the entertainment ship Hollywood, West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship, Three Star Class Factory Ship, Budoukan Class Concert Ship and the science ship Einstein, ). These ships are linked to the mothership by the "Milky Road", a web of guidance beams enabling smaller vessels to travel safely between the larger ships. All vessels are capable of faster-than-light travel ("space fold"), though Macross 7 requires up to four hours' charging before it is capable of folding.
Perhaps the most distinguished of this ship class is the Macross 7 of the 37th long-distance colonization fleet that took part in the Protodeviln War in 2045. The 37th long-distance colonization fleet consisted of:
- 1 x Battle 7/City 7 (Macross 7)
- 1 x Einstein Research Experimental Ship
- 1 x Hollywood Amusement Ship, 1 x Riviera Resort Ship
- 1 x Sunnyflower Agricultural Ship, 1 x Three Star Factory Ship
- 1 x West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship, one or more Mark Twain VII Resort Ships
- 45 x Guantánamo Class Stealth Carriers (for use in space)
- 20 x Uraga Class Escort Battle Carriers (for use in air and space)
- 120 x Northampton Class Stealth Frigates (for use in air and space)
The ship-carried aircraft/spacecraft for the entire fleet consisted of approximately 1,800 x variable fighters (mostly VF-11C Thunderbolts), 600 x variable attack craft, 9 x variable bombers, 120 x electronic reconnaissance fighters, 60 x cargo plane/freight transports and 100 x liaison craft. Total fleet count is 194 large ships (of which 186 are combat ships) and 2,689 small craft (Macross Chronicle 2E Worldguide 15A). Commanded by Maximillian Jenius, the Battle 7 participated in numerous engagements against the Varauta Army throughout the war. Both the crew of the Battle 7 and the colonists of City 7 worked together during the ProtodevilnWar to develop a highly specialized sound technology that was used by several City 7 citizens to combat the Protodevlin. The infamous variable fighter unit Sound Force was stationed onboard the Macross 7 and the pilots - who together formed the rock band Fire Bomber - lived in the "Akusho" (or Acshio) area, the docking bay island section of City 7.